Friday, August 23, 2013

Hardest Decision of My Life

Yes, I have just made the hardest decision of my life. What was is it? Oh my top five favorite movies of all time (subject to change):

Number 5 on my list: The Harry Potter Series


Harry Potter I think should be on everyone’s top five or at least top ten. I know it is kind of nerdy and whatnot, but it has such a gripping storyline and would make you want to be at every 12 o’clock premier of the newest film to the series. Yes I did go to the premiers; no I did not go dressed in my Gryffindor cloak wielding a wand. The magic or CGI in Harry Potter really sold the magic that is portrayed in the book to complete the storyline. And then you really think of all the elements in the book and how they are a pieced together, I just think, “Man, what was J.K Rowling on to come up with something like this?”








Number 4 on my list: Django Unchained

Quentin Tarantino is a mastermind of resurrecting these cheesy, cliché 70’s films. Django Unchained is one of his newest additions to his reel. First of all the trailer looked so tight that I knew I had to see it. Especially the fact that I knew it was a Tarantino and I was bound to see some blood and gore. Again with every film, I really judge it based on it’s storyline to determine if it’s a good film or not. All the technical extras are just a plus. I thought that this storyline was so damn good. And especially cause DiCaprio was in it already made it a great film.  One of my favorite parts in the movie is where Jamie Foxx’s character kills 3 men who had brutally whipped his wife. I felt so much intensity right in this scene.






Number 3 on my list: Kids


Kids is an indie movie from the 90’s that was pretty popular because it was pitched towards the teenage viewers. What made this film so popular was it’s message about engaging in safe sexual intercourse. The dumb and naïve main character named, “Telly” is just like any other teenage boy and is trying to have sex with anything that moves. When one day one of his victims of flowering, comes to find out that she has been infected with HIV. The story comes off so scary because of how it really only takes one time to become infected with an STD and really makes teenagers think twice about having sex.









Number 2 on my list: This is the End

This new movie has erupted much stir because of how hysterical it is. I really think Judd Apatow is a genius in all films that he had written. What got me to really like this film is the dialogue and casting. The storyline was “ehhh” because apocalyptic films are kinda cheesy but the casting was amazing. Even though it was really only focused on 6 main characters, the guest appearances from Kevin Hart, Michael Cera, Rihanna and many more stars really completed the film. Also because everyone played themselves in the film too.









Number 1 on my list: A Night at the Roxbury



Oh maaaa gawwwd. This movie really is, and forever will be, my all time favorite. I swear I probably have seen it like a trillion times and I still think that it’s so funny. The character development and how the Butabi brothers progressed and regressed in the film is something that I really liked. I love the cheesy bromance and stupidity in both Chris Katan and Will Ferrell’s characters. They give the film like a modern slapstick comedy genre. The dialogue is what sells the film too because it one of the most quoted films I have ever seen. I swear I probably quote that film once a day.

2 comments:

  1. As I read your blog I enjoyed how you not only discussed your opinion on why you think it is a good film, but you explained the different aspects on what makes it good. You talked about the different elements such as storyline, characters and context. Using context from films is important because it gives your readers some background knowledge and details on different examples from scenes with the movie. For example, as you talked about the film Django Unchained you not only mentioned that it has a lot of blood and gore, but why it does, regarding the director’s style as well as giving some insight on different scenes that it was incorporated in. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What up Doms. Being very partial to the Harry Potter series myself(I have no clue why I didn't put it on my own top 5), I'd say that I definitely agree with it being on your top 5. The story line really keeps you glued to the screen and gets you watching the whole series religiously as if it were a tv show. I'm not sure how it was in the books but the actors in the series really made the characters lovable which I think is something that kept me personally hooked. I've heard about Night at the Roxbury a lot, but I really wanna check it out after reading your review. I would recommend talking about what makes Kids your personal #3 instead of what made it popular amongst other people, but you know I still luv u mayne.

    ReplyDelete